|Firearms Applicant Instructions|
A NJ Permit to Purchase a Handgun is for the purchase of a handgun. Only one handgun shall be purchased on each permit. Only one handgun may be purchased every 30 days. There is no limit to the amount of handgun permits you can apply for, but do realize that they expire 90 days from the date of issue. The permit may be extended for an additional 90 days by the issuing authority (not to exceed 180 days from initial date of issue). You do not need to obtain a NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card in order to apply for a NJ Permit to Purchase a Handgun, but it is highly recommended, for you will only be able to purchase handgun ammunition at the time you purchase your handgun. The cost for a NJ Permit to Purchase a Handgun is $2.00/per permit. You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a NJ Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
The Saddle River Police Department is accepting applications electronically through the Firearms Application Registration System (FARS)
• The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered accurate phone numbers and email addresses for both you and your two references.
• Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them a link to complete the online reference questions. Your reference can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions as soon as possible so as not to delay your application.
• You will receive automated email updates throughout this process
• Once your application is complete, you will be contacted by the Saddle River Police Department to pick up your NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card and/or Handgun Permits.
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
1. Visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/Fars/
2. Click on the “Online S.T.S. 033 Form” button
3. Enter the Saddle River Police Department ORI Number: NJ0025800
4. Complete the online application.
When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember:
A. ONE Permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase ($2/per permit)
B. Only ONE handgun can be purchased within any 30-day period
C. Permits expire 90 days from the date of issue, but can be extended an additional 90 days by the issuing authority (not to exceed 180 days from initial date of issue).
D. If you decide that you would like more permits than initially requested, you will need to re-apply.
5. Upon completion print out your confirmation page and submit it to the Saddle River Police Department along with payment (The cost for the “initial” card is $5.00. There is no fee for replacement cards [lost/stolen, mutilated, or change of address, name or sex], The cost for a NJ Permit to Purchase a Handgun is $2.00/per permit.) Payment is by CHECK ONLY made out to the “BOROUGH OF SADDLE RIVER.”
If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact:
Detective Sergeant Jason Nunn #334